Recipe 1: Wild mushroom & squash burger with crushed herb peas & picante salsa.
by Marek Dabrowski
Vegan recipe 1: Wild mushroom & squash burger with crushed herb peas & picante salsa.
Prep Time: 45 mins
Cooking Time: 45 min
Ingredients for vegetable burger patties:
• 250g wild mushroom
• 250g Paris brown mushrooms
• 150g butternut squash (diced & roasted)
• 1 x onion
• 2 x garlic cloves
• Cajun spice
• ½ x bunch parsley
• 50g plain flour
• Salt & pepper
• Virgin olive oil
• Burger bun of choice
• Slice of tomato
Ingredients for crushed herb peas:
• 150g garden peas
• 1/3 x bunch of parsley
• 20g diced onion
• 2 x cloves garlic
• 50ml vegetable stock
• ½ x lemon zest
Ingredients for Picante Salsa:
• 2 x tomatoes cut into small cubes.
• ½ x red onion cut into small cubes.
• ½ x red & ½ x green jalapeño diced finely.
• 1/3 x bunch of coriander
• 1 x garlic clove
• ½ Lime juice & zest
• Salt & pepper
1. Cooking method for burger:
• Preheat the oven to 185C ready to roast butternut squash.
• Dice all mushrooms.
• Dice the butternut squash.
• Dice the onion, chop the parsley and mince garlic cloves.
• Sauté the diced onion and garlic until lightly brown.
• Put the squash into the oven coated with virgin olive oil, salt & pepper for about 15 mins.
• Add wild & Paris brown Mushroom to the onion and garlic mix, cook for 10 - 15 minutes on a medium heat.
• Season the mushroom and onion mix with Cajun spice to taste, parsley, salt & pepper and plain flour.
• Once squash is out of the oven turn down the temperature to 165C ready for your burger mix.
• Mash roasted squash and add to the mushroom mix.
• Make 4 balls of equal size and mould into a burger shape.
• Put the burger patties on a tray with rubber mat or baking parchment and roast for 15 - 20 mins at 165C.
2. Cooking method for crushed herb peas:
• Braise the peas with parsley, onion and garlic, vegetable stock and lemon zest for 5 - 8 mins on a low heat (try not to overcook the peas or they’ll brown).
• Blend the braised peas for 5 - 10 seconds
• Add salt & pepper to taste.
3. Cooking Method for picante salsa:
• Thinly chop everything and mix together, adjust seasoning with lime juice & zest, with a pinch of salt & pepper
4. Assemble the burger beginning with the bun base, burger patty, a spoon of crushed peas, a slice of tomato, a spoon of salsa and top with the bun.
Hope you enjoy - Marek Dabrowski, Head Chef at etcvenues 133 Houndsditch
Recipe 2: Dry Martini (The traditional version)
by Dominic James
Recipe 2: Dry Martini
Bartender folk lore states that Martini’s should be gently stirred so as not to “bruise” the gin as per this original recipe. However James Bond insists on his Martini being “shaken not stirred”. Not only does this makes the drink taste slightly different, it completely changes the cocktail. Bond should actually ask for a “Bradford”, but who’s going to correct him?
2 ½ oz gin
1/2 oz dry vermouth
1 green olive or lemon twist for garnish
orange or Angostura bitters (optional)
Pour the ingredients into a mixing glass filled with ice cubes and stir gently for 30 seconds. Strain into a chilled Martini cocktail glass and add a dash of orange or Angostura bitters if desired. Garnish with an olive or lemon twist.