As its National Salad week I thought I would roll out this simple “salad” for everyone to try. We have this on our mezze menu at etc venues 155 bishopsgate over the spring/summer menus instead of the standard Nicoise offering and its been a huge hit with our clients. It is served Chilled!
- 600g New potatoes, quartered
- 800ml Water
- 500g onions – finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 450ml chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon ghee or clarified butter
- 1 tablespoon roasted cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 200g washed and sliced baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 300g Chargrilled tuna
- 100g Grams of semi dried cherry tomatoes
- Melt the ghee or butter over medium heat in a large pan or wok.
- Throw in the sliced onions and fry until nicely browned and transparent.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir to combine. Cook for a further minute, add in the tomatoes, cumin seeds, chilli powder and turmeric and mix them all up.
- Now drop in your potatoes and cook for a further minute before pouring in the water.
- Cover the pan and simmer until the potatoes are soft and cooked through. You can now make the sauce to your preferred consistency dry or liquid.
- TO SERVE
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and then fold in the garam masala and shredded spinach.
- Serve chilled with the chargrilled Tuna, not bad I must say!