This is my take on a Northern Thai Salmon Dish. Light on the pallet ,but rich in flavor and depth . All which can be completed in under 30minutes.
In the north of Thailand unlike the southern and central regions coconut is rarely used but replaced with beautiful lighter, simpler fresh ingredients. To celebrate the soil associations “#organicseptember” I thought I would combine this newly acquired love for Northern Thai food with some of superb organic salmon and yellow courgette we got today at Etc Venues Dexter House.
1 x portion of Salmon (Organic or Substainably Sourced for the best result)
1 x Yellow Courgette
1 x Garlic Cloves (Grated)
3cm x 3cm roughly chunk of Ginger (Grated)
1 x Carrot
2 x Tbsp Coriander (Chopped)
2 x Tbsp Chives (Chopped)
2x Tbsp Flat-Leaf Parsley (Chopped)
1 x Tbsp Sesame Seeds
50ml x Sesame Seed Oil
20ml x Soy Sauce
It is best to prep your ingredients beforehand like I have done above because once you begin cooking the dish comes to together very quickly.
1. Place a frying pan on to Hob top on medium heat and pour 2/3 of Sesame seed oil and begin to heat.
2. Once pan is hot add your Courgette, Garlic , Ginger and Sesame seeds and continue to toss till evenly colored
( This should take no longer than 4-5 minutes if this takes longer your pan was not hot enough and the courgette will lose taste and texture)
3. Remove Courgette and toss in mixing bowl with Chives, Parsley and Coriander and seasoning to taste. Place in a bowl ready for serving.
4. Wipe out your frying pan with tissue or kitchen cloth , Careful not to burn your fingers!
5. Place pan back on the heat. While this warms back up Rub the Salmon fillet with remaining sesame seed oil and seasoning
6. When the pan is red hot place the Salmon skin side down and continue to cook till skin crispy and browned turning down the heat if it begins to burn. Once skin is crispy turn over the fish and remove pan from the heat and add the soy sauce.
leave to cook in the hot pan on heat proof mat on counter top for another 3-4 minutes.
7. Finish up by plate up your courgette Som Tam and Salmon and enjoy