225g/8oz self-raising flour
100g/3½oz caster sugar
1 vanilla pod, split, seeds scraped out
100g/3½oz hazelnuts, shells removed, chopped
Pistachio nuts chopped
2 free-range eggs
50g/2oz butter, melted
25g/1oz flour mixed with 25g/1oz icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- For the biscotti, mix together the flour, sugar, vanilla seeds and hazelnuts and pistachio nuts in a bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and butter together until pale and fluffy, then add to the flour mixture, mixing to form a dough. Shape the dough into a ball.
- Flour a work surface with the flour and icing sugar mixture. Turn the dough out onto the work surface, halve it and roll each half into a 24cm/10in long rectangle 1cm/½in thick.
- Place the rectangles of dough onto a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10-15 minutes, then cut 12 biscuits out from each sheet with a biscuit cutter. Return the biscuits to the oven to bake for 15 more minutes, or until golden-brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 20-30 minutes, then dust with icing sugar.