I was always ‘ok’ at baking cakes and desserts but when i asked my son what type of cake he would like for his birthday i began to sweat with worry! He said in an excited voice, “i would like GUP A with Barnacles and Kwazii please’ , i was errrr emmmmmm yeah, sure! Even though i had no idea what he was talking about. After using our good old friend google, my heart sank!
So the first stage was to make a good sponge recipe and the butter cream.
- 840g Golden caster sugar
- 840g Good quality unsalted butter
- 15 Large eggs
- 10tblsp Milk
- 1020g Self raising flour
- 2 Vanilla pods, cut in half and de-seeded
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 C Grease and line or grease and dust with flour three 10-12 in round tins and set aside.
- Sieve flour into a large mixing bowl, add all other ingredients and mix with electric mixer on slow speed until all ingredients are blended, then increase to fast speed and mix for another 2 or so minutes, when you have a smooth batter it is ready.
- Pour into already prepared tin, place in centre of oven and cook for about 1 hour 20 mins. Test with a skewer, if it comes out clean, its ready.
Allow to cool.
Butter Icing Recipe
- 300g Unsalted Butter
- 900g Icing Sugar
- 50ml Single cream
Cream your butter til nice and fluffy, slowly add in your icing sugar, when combined, add your cream to loosen it. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix for a minute or two until silky.
Spread a nice layer of butter cream between each layer, around the sides and allow to cool in the fridge.
Now cut out a template of the item you are making and cut out the sponge.
Then i simply covered with buttercream and started to cover with Jade Blue icing, so i thought. First time round i rolled the icing too thin and it cracked so i took it off, rubbed off the butter and re rolled, same again. The kitchen was wayyyyyyyy to hot!
So off i head home with Gup A in hand but i had to stop in the shops late into the evening to purchase some green and blue in an attempt to cover this bad boy.
500g of green and about 125 of blue gave me the perfect colour and this time i allowed about 1cm so that when i smooth it out with my hands it wouldn’t crack.
It went like a dream, by this stage it was midnight. I had yet to make fins, propeller, the yellow angler fish attractor on the top and the dreaded figurines! :-s
So about 3.37am i finally finished. Proping the wings up with Tupperware and various sticks we left it to dry for the next few hours!
I finished the propeller at the party but if you have time, make these a few days in advance.
I am not cake maker/baker and i take my hats off to all of you that are but i had a go, it was real fun and to be honest, to see my boy and his friends faces when i presented it, it was worth every second. I will never forget it!
Happy birthday Fabian!