I wrote this recipe a couple of years ago in early summer, just about now actually and i entered it in an ebook competition. It was chosen by celebrity chef Rachel Allen to feature in the very first ebook.
The sharp raspberries combined with the nutty flavour from the ground almonds and the slightly floral butter icing recipe is very Unique.
Lavender is in full swing now and in surrey you can visit this amazing place to pick up some amazing organic produce. http://www.mayfieldlavender.com/
Try this cake recipe, it will not disappoint but do try and use good quality Irish Butter! 😉
- 4oz unsalted butter (softened)
- 4oz Golden Caster Sugar
- 3 free range eggs
- 3oz Self Raising Flour (Sieved)
- 1tsp Baking powder
- 1.5oz Ground almonds
- 100g Blueberries
- 100g Raspberries
- 150g Unsalted butter (cubed)
- 300g Icing Sugar
- 1.5tblsp single cream
- 1tsp Fresh Lavender
- Preheat the oven to 180oc
- Use a 8″ Cake tin
- Butter and flour the cake tin to prevent the cake from sticking
- Whisk the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and whisk until the mixture has doubled in size.
- Fold in the flour, ground almonds and baking powder.
- Now gently fold in the raspberries and blueberries.
- Place in the prepared tin and bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 mins before removing from the tin and placing on a wire rack.
When cool, prepare the icing.
- Slowly whisk the unsalted butter and icing sugar until combined then whisk vigorously until pale and fluffy
- Add the cream and half of the fresh lavender.
- Now spread on the cool cake and sprinkle with the remaining fresh lavender.